Thursday, May 1, 2008

reflection

The article I read last week was "Generation Divorce." The reading strategies that I used for it worked well. There were a few words in it that I had to look up, but that wasn't a problem. One of the words that I had to look up was churn, which I later found out meant to violently stir something. Another word that I had to look up was congeniality, which meant allied in disposition and taste. So that was one strategy. Another one was to outline the article. I didn't really go into great detail on it, but I got all of the main ideas out and I put in some supporting details that helped hold up the main ideas. I got about a page an a half on it, and it helped me with organizing my thoughts. To help myself with the outline, I had to hightlight all of the important parts of the article. I also numbered all of the paragraphs to organize my thoughts better, and just in case I had to go back and look for a specific part I knew where to find it.
For the other article I had to read, I chose to do an article called, "Where Have You Been?" It was about the music group Portishead, who had not released an album in eleven years. There wasn't much to read on this article, it had only been about a page long and only had about five paragraphs in it. It mostly talked about their new album and their past successes in the 90's. The only reading techniques that I had to use on this were a little bit of outlining and some highlighting.

No comments: